All buildings are equipped with fire alarms that sound an audible tone. Some buildings have strobe flashers for the hearing impaired.
No person may remain in any SLC facility when an audible or visual fire alarm has been activated or upon being notified by fire fighting, law enforcement or security personnel to evacuate. The only exception would be during building fire alarm testing. The individual testing your alarm will announce: "Attention Please. For the next several minutes we will be testing the fire alarm. There is no need to evacuate the building."
The fire alarm means: "EVACUATE!" Even if you are in the middle of a class, it is time to leave.
- Alert persons in area of fire and direct them away from danger.
- Close door(s) to confine fire.
- Activate the fire alarm.
- Evacuate through nearest safe exit.
- Do not use elevators.
- Move calmly to the designated "Evacuation Assembly Area" for your building.
- Keep streets, fire-lanes, hydrant areas and walkways clear for emergency vehicles and personnel.
- Call Emergency Dispatch from a safe location. Dial 9-911 from any campus hard-wired phone or 911 from a cell phone.
- Do not re-enter until the Fire Department or Campus Security announce "ALL CLEAR."